Monday, February 18, 2008

Reality check

On a recent trip in the US, I was rushing to buy a roast beef sandwich in the Atlanta airport before getting on the plane back to Helsinki. The amount was $3.20. I quickly pulled out a $20 bill, but as I was reaching into my wallet for the twenty cents, the person in line in front of me threw down a quarter for me and said, "I won't be needing this where I am going." I was taken aback, and I looked over to see a soldier wearing a big backpack. I was so flustered, I didn't know what to say at first.

I replied, "Well, best of luck to you wherever you are going."

I walked off, stunned, almost leaving my $17 in change behind.

Although I might not agree with my country being wherever that young man was going, I appreciated his gesture and hope for his safety.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Blogger Lak said...

Is it just me, or is that soldier grandstanding a bit?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home