Sunday, October 19, 2008

Worst hotel in London for the price?


How about this for a hotel review?

Never stay at the Rydges Kensington Plaza, near the Gloucester Road Underground Station and Imperial College.

I'll make a very long story short. I had a reservation made by the Royal Meteorological Society for one night, but I wanted to extend that by two more days to visit London with Yvette. Before arriving, I called the hotel and gave them my credit card information to extend my reservation for two days beyond the initial reservation. I was told that this was done.

When we arrived, the hotel had no idea that we were arriving. Apparently, the person who took the reservation never registered it in the computer or it was not registered appropriately. During two of the next three mornings, cleaning staff arrived at our room at 8:30 in the morning to begin cleaning, even though the checkout time was 11 a.m. Calls and visits to the front desk did little to alleviate the problem---apparently, the hotel never got the idea that we were registered guests in the hotel for those three straight nights.

The final straw was when we were checking out, they charged the RMS for two nights, even after I explained to them that you were only to be billed for one night, as per the written reservation below. So, if you see on your credit card statement that you were billed, then credited back, please forgive me. We did the best we could under the circumstances.

It's a shame because the hotel is reasonably well kept, albeit the rooms we were in was a bit crowded for two people, let alone two people with even small luggage. (Although to be fair, the traveler photos on tripadvisor.com appear to show some spacious rooms.)

The hotel is ranked 630 of 1095 hotels in London, so in the bottom half. Given the cluelessness of the staff, their terrible service when presented with the problem, I would say that this is a generous rating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home