Friday, May 04, 2007

Yvette


Meet my girlfriend Yvette Hancock. She is a 35-year-old theoretical physicist working on nanoscale devices at the Helsinki University of Technology in Espoo, a western suburb of Helsinki. She arrived in Helsinki in September 2006, shortly before I did. Yvette has dual Australian-British citizenship and got her PhD from the School of Physics and Materials Engineering at Monash University in Australia in 2003. During the end of her thesis, she was inspired to write a children's story about her thesis. Ellie the Electron's adventures are told through the lens of quantum physics: uncertainty, spin, and electron microscopy. Yvette says that Ellie "wants to be the star of the Quantum Circus and stand out from the rest of the electron crowd (difficult considering they are all supposed to be identical)."

Similarities between us
  • the ability to quote directly from The Simpsons
  • INTJ on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
  • laughing uncontrollably over little things (oftentimes my stupid jokes)
  • Buddy Holly
  • broccoli
  • the importance of effective scientific communication
  • geology, glaciers, and severe weather
  • roller coasters
I think she's a candidate for the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists (LFHCfS).

Yvette accompanied me on my trip to Vienna and during Vappu. More adventures are planned in the future.

5 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Aurora Stan-Sion said...

Congratulations Dave!

Nice to meet your girlfriend! I am sure you will make together good science, great adventures, and ... safe roller coasters!
See you both in Romania!

cheers,
Aurora

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Now I know why I haven't heard from you much! How are you? She sounds really neat. Do say hello some time! It sounds like you are doing really well over there. I just looked at your site to catch up and couldn't stop reading and looking at the great pictures!

Stephanie

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

nice couple.I've heard your girl friend from my friend who studies at Monash,a talented woman.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger alankopischke said...

David - I am interested in getting a copy of Dr Hancock's Ellie the Electron book. How do I do so? - Alan Kopischke

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Any chance I could get some information on how to locate Yvette's book(s). I can't seem to find them in the United States.

Thanks!
Amanda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home