Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Being an Immigrant

Being a legal immigrant here in Finland has given me new perspective about what being an immigrant to America must be like. Consider this.

  • I am a well-educated, well-paid, well-meaning single person who wants to learn the language and become assimilated into Finnish culture. I speak English nearly everywhere I go. If someone comes up to me on the street asking me questions in Finnish, all I can do is reply in English. Furthermore, I can't find the time to take the classes to learn the language between working/playing hard, teaching class, and business travel. How do American immigrants do it when they work long hours for low pay,and spend time with their families?

  • I want to use my skills to earn some money and contribute to the betterment of Finnish meteorology. Mesoscale meteorologist---the job that Finns don't want to do!

  • I pay taxes to the Finnish government. If I made more money, I apparently have have to pay U.S. taxes, too!

1 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Mary Golden said...

I have shared this (without attribution) with my colleagues in a Teaching English as a Second Language program. Thanks for extrapolating your situation to that of others, Dave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home